Thank you to Irene and Alba for sharing their Tech-a-la-Carte experiences with us during today’s webinar! And thank you to the participants for asking great questions and sharing resources, too.
During today’s inspiring session, Irene Romsa, manager of the Outreach Department for the Poudre River Public Library District, and Alba Williams, bilingual instructor, provided an insider's tour of Tech-a-la-Carte. With this small mobile computer lab, the library takes technology training into the community… sometimes right into the homes of community members. The lab provides the library with the flexibility to respond to the particular needs (content, location, time, and day) of specific groups. Today's webinar discussed important issues such as safety, technical solutions, popular class topics, and more.
This webinar is part of a series of webinars exploring the Edge Initiative Benchmarks. This webinar is based on Benchmark 8, which includes the attribute, "The library engages in technology outreach activities by maintaining mobile training equipment for library-sponsored technology training in partner facilities." The session was recorded so feel free to share the archive with others!
Resources shared during today’s session include:
Poudre River Public Library
- Poudre River Public Library District (Fort Collins, CO) http://www.poudrelibraries.org/
- Poudre River’s electronic literacy classes http://www.poudrelibraries.org/classes/
- Poudre River Public Library District’s Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/PoudreLibraries
- Class Agreement English version Spanish version
- Sample Survey English version Spanish version
- Colorado Public Computer Centers http://www.coloradovirtuallibrary.org/techtraining/ and http://coloradovirtuallibrary.org/btop/
- The Mobile Beacon http://home.techsoup.org/stock/Pages/Category.aspx?category=MobileBeacon TechSoup offers a Hot Spot device and 4G access for $10 per month.
- Atomic Training, which provides mobile, cloud-based technical training on 150 products, will launch tomorrow at TechSoup http://www.techsoup.org
- SIGMOBILE http://www.sigmobile.org international professional organization for scientists, engineers, executives, educators, and students dedicated to all things mobile.
Other Examples of Mobile Training
- Fast Forward New Mexico http://www.fastforwardnm.org/ tech training in communities in NM
- Houston Public Library’s Mobile Lab http://www.houstonlibrary.org/hpl-mobile-express
- Gwinnett County Public Library (GA) mobile job center http://gbj.com/2012/10/10/gwinnett-county-public-library-launches-jobsmart-program/
- Lexington (KY) Public Library mobile lab http://www.lexpublib.org/directorblog/post/mobile-computer-lab
- State Library of Ohio has a mobile tech training center http://www.library.ohio.gov/SEO/Training_Services/MobileLab
- Missoula Public Library's W.O.W. Bus http://missoulapubliclibrary.org/branches/wow
We hope to see you at the Dec 4th Benchmark webinar! Free, but please register here: https://cc.readytalk.com/r/4uuqtqr2mj2o.