With its bright and bold look, Windows 8 is a big departure from previous versions of Windows. The modern interface along with plenty of new features and performance boosts make this one of the most exciting Microsoft releases to date. But because Windows 8 is such a big departure from previous versions of Windows, it might require a bit of a learning curve.
Luckily, there are a lot of articles and videos available with tips, walk-throughs, and other information on getting up and running on Windows 8.
TechSoup Windows 8 Resources
- Is Windows 8 right for your nonprofit or library? TechSoup's Should Your Upgrade to Windows 8? article has four questions to consider.
- If you've decided that your organization is ready to upgrade, read TechSoup's How to Upgrade to Windows 8 article.
- Read about all of the built-in security enhancements Windows 8 offers.
- Will Windows 8 run on older PCs? TechSoup installed Windows 8 on a seven year old PC and found that it performed quite well.
- Watch a replay of the Tech for Good: Microsoft Donations webinar to learn how to get the most out of Microsoft donations from TechSoup.
- Visit our Windows 8 resource page.
- Join the discussion on Windows 8 in our community forums.
Microsoft Windows 8 Resources
Microsoft has a variety of resources on its Windows 8 site to help you get started with its brand-new operating system. Here are some of the best:
- Watch this quick video introduction to Windows 8's revamped look and its new features.
- Read these tips on how to use SkyDrive, Microsoft's cloud storage service, on the Windows Team Blog.
- Learn about the new keyboard shortcuts for Windows 8 and Windows RT with this interactive how-to.
- Along with Windows 8, Microsoft is introducing Windows 8 apps built specially for the Start screen. Find out more about how to download and use some of the most popular apps in the Windows Store.
- Windows 8 also comes with the new Internet Explorer 10. Learn how to get the most out of the browser.
Other Windows 8 Resources
Technology news sites have been testing and tinkering with Windows 8 for a few months now. Here are some of the most informative Windows 8 articles from the tech community.
- Still confused about how gestures work on a touchscreen Windows 8 device? PCWorld breaks down Windows 8's gesture commands in this visual how-to.
- Paul Thurrott is widely regarded as a Microsoft expert in the tech community. His Windows 8 portal is full of useful how-tos, reviews, and feature overviews.
- The Verge's detailed, image-heavy Windows 8 review gives a fair and balanced assessment of Microsoft's latest operating system.
- To watch Windows 8 in action, check out The Wall Street Journal's video review.
- ExtremeTech's ultimate guide to using Windows 8 on a desktop PC walks you through using Windows 8 with a keyboard and a mouse.
Windows 7 Resources
Your organization may not be ready to upgrade to Windows 8, or you might be making the upgrade from Windows XP or Vista to Windows 7. Microsoft and TechSoup have an extensive list of articles, FAQs, and videos to help you get the most out of Windows 7.
- Is your organization just getting started with Windows 7? Read Microsoft's First Steps with Windows 7 article.
- TechSoup's Should You Upgrade to Windows 7? is packed full of information tailored especially to nonprofits and libraries.
- Microsoft also has a helpful FAQ for those ready to make the leap to Windows 7.
- These handy tips for Windows 7 will help your organization be more productive.
- Microsoft's library of Windows 7 videos includes tutorials, feature highlights, and more.
Want to share your experiences with Windows operating systems or Windows 8? Tell us about it in the comments.
Ginny Mies is a Content Curator at TechSoup Global.